Wednesday, June 23, 2010

Minuteman Race Report

Raced local this past weekend, which is great! Anytime you only have to drive 20 min to race, it's a total bonus. Minuteman Sprint is run in-conjunction with the Patriot Half Ironman distance race. And as an added bonus my husband decided to give it a go, he hasn't swam or run in months, so I thought I'd give him a good butt kickin!

Started in the Elite wave, first to go. A bunch of men dressed as minute men (revolutionary war style) fired their guns with no warning guess that was the start, so off we went. Had a good swim. Got on some fast feet and relaxed the whole time. Fast transition and onto the bike. Good bike too, although not great. Flat course, not my strength. I need some hills to spread things out. My husband started 3 min back in the age group field, with about a mile to go on the bike he comes screaming by telling me to push a bigger gear! No worries, I'll get him on the run. Another fast transition, and we start the run together. I feel good and he is behind me struggling. (We are both in the front, I think like 6-7 overall. He then says to me "can I win my age-group at this pace?". He's not a triathlete or a runner, so it was highly unusual for him to be on the front of the field. I told him "yes", but I really thought there was no way he could keep up this pace. Sure enough about 1/2 mile in he says "I can't keep up this pace, if I back off can I still win?". I tell him yes but really... how the hell should I know? We kept going and I started to pull away. At that point, about .65 mile into the 4.0m run, two of the other leaders come running toward us waving their arms- "We missed the turn, turn around!!!". I can't believe it, I didn't know it at the time but we ran 1.25 miles off course!!!! I was little upset but I figured I still had a decent chance for a good result. My husband was pissed! He can barely run 4.0 miles, and has never run 5+ miles, ever! We both lost the race right there. Totally disappointing. Turns out he would have won his age group. He did come in 3rd despite an extra 8+ min's on the run.
I don't know if I would have won. Turns out there was a fast women there and we we're pretty dead even going into the run. I would have had to have a fabulous run. I'm looking forward to racing next weekend in Stamford, CT. First Olympic distance this year, maybe this time the course will be marked and I'll run a real 10k.
I spent the rest of the day volunteering at the 1/2 IM handing off water bottles trying not to complain about my disappointing race.

oh...... and I would never forget to congratulate my friend Tony Thissell for completing his first Triathlon!! I knew you could do it Tony!!

No comments:

Post a Comment

About Me

My photo
The beginning.... Back in Nov 05 I was probably the most out of shape I'd ever been in my life. I really wanted to change my body. I wouldn't even wear shorts. I thought my legs were too fat. I ordered an exercise program I saw on an infomercial called The Firm. It arrived the week of Thanksgiving. The day it arrived my husband happened to be home and when I got home from work I got an earful. "Why did you order that? You'll never use it! It's just a waste of money." That's all it took!! I made a commitment to myself to start the day after Thanksgiving. All week he kept taunting me.. " When are you going to start? I told you it was a waste of money ".... blahh ..blahh..blahh. Well, the day after thanksgiving I started and haven't stopped. I did it three times a week.... and I never missed a day.....no matter what. I don't mean to make him sound un-supportive. He's really my biggest fan. He's been a competitive cyclist for years and that spring I told him I was thinking about getting a bike so I could start riding a little. I think within an hour we were leaving the bike shop with my new bike and helmet. More to come...stay tuned.